Santa Clarita Product Liability Attorneys
What Is a Defective Product and Why You Need a Lawyer?
A defective product is one that was improperly designed, manufactured, and/or distributed. Breach of warranty, whether expressed or implied, can also render a product defective under product liability laws. Sadly, defective products make it onto the consumer market and into the hands of unsuspecting individuals every day—often with catastrophic results.
If you or someone you love was injured by or involved in an accident caused by a defective product, it’s important that you find an experienced product liability attorney who can help you fight to hold the liable manufacturer or distributor accountable. Product liability cases can be complicated, expensive, and time-consuming. The investigation alone can take a lot of time and requires the skills of a legal professional who understands the law and how it applies to your case.
At the Law Offices of C. Ray Carlson, our Santa Clarita product liability lawyers have been serving residents in and around SCV for more than 40 years. In that time, we have successfully secured millions of dollars in settlements and verdicts, helping countless individuals and families get back on their feet. We know that every case is unique, which is why we offer caring, personalized representation for every single client. If you were hurt by a defective product, we can help.
On This Page
- Types of Product Defects
- What to Do If You Were Injured by a Defective Product
- Filing a Product Liability Lawsuit in California
Give us a call at (661) 765-8484 or submit an online contact form to request a free, no-obligation consultation today.
Types of Product Defects
Generally speaking, there are three main types of product defects:
- Design Defects: A design defect occurs when the product is designed in such a way that it is not safe for normal use. For example, an SUV with a flawed design might flip over easily when turning. If the designer of the product knew that the risks associated with the product were significant, yet did not attempt to change or adjust the design, they could be liable.
- Manufacturing Defects: These occur when a product is properly designed but it is not manufactured correctly or when the product becomes contaminated during production. For example, if a seatbelt is installed into several thousand vehicles without a crucial component that allows it to lock when the brakes are applied, this is an example of a manufacturing defect.
- Labeling Defect: A labeling defect, also sometimes occasionally referred to as a “marketing defect,” occurs when a product lacks important labels that warn of possible risks or provide instructions for use. An example of a labeling defect would be a children’s toy that, despite having numerous small parts, does not have a choking hazard warning on it.
What to Do If You Were Injured by a Defective Product
First, if you’ve been injured by a defective product, seek medical help. Not only is this important for your health, but it also helps to provide evidence of an injury that can be used later in your claim. After ensuring that your health and well-being are being properly cared for, the next step is to reach out to an attorney as soon as possible.
One of the biggest reasons to hire a lawyer right away is that they can preserve all of the evidence regarding what caused the product to injure you and why the event occurred. They also can determine how the product injured you, specifically, and who is responsible.
What You Need to Know About Filing a Product Liability Lawsuit in California
In the state of California, you have two years to file a product liability claim. Product liability claims can be brought under several different legal theories, including negligence, strict liability, breach of warranty, and others.
Our Santa Clarita product liability lawyers can help you determine which situation is appropriate given the details of your case. We will work with you from start to finish, providing clear and consistent communication throughout the entire legal process. We understand that this is likely a difficult time for you and your family, which is why we handle all communications with the insurance company and their lawyers so that you can focus on your physical recovery.
Contact Our Product Liability Attorneys Now for a Free Consultation
At the Law Offices of C. Ray Carlson, we have what it takes to aggressively advocate for your rights. We are not afraid to go up against large manufacturers and their legal teams. In fact, we have earned a reputation for being a team that never backs down, even in the face of a challenge.
Most importantly, we truly care about our clients. When you choose us to represent you, we see ourselves as not only your attorneys but also your partners throughout the legal process. We proudly serve clients in Valencia, Santa Clarita, Stevenson Ranch, Fillmore, the San Fernando Valley, and throughout Los Angeles County. We offer free initial consultations and contingency fees, meaning you do not owe us a dime unless we secure compensation in your case.
Call us today at (661) 765-8484 to schedule a free consultation. Our attorneys can assist you in Spanish, Russian, Portuguese, and Tagalog.
What Sets Us Apart
40+ Years of Experience
Supportive, Honest & Responsive Care
Offering Services in Spanish, Russian, Portuguese, and Tagalog
Available 24/7 by Phone
No Fees Unless We Win